Erectile dysfunction is also known as impotence. It’s the inability for a man to maintain an erection long enough for sex. While erectile dysfunction isn’t a serious medical issue, it can cause a lot of stress emotionally on the man and within the relationship.1
Because an estimated half of men over the age of 40 have problems with impotence, more men are turning to natural and home remedies for treating the underlying causes of erectile dysfunction.
About Erectile Dysfunction
Most men experience occasional trouble maintaining an erection, which is a normal and expected situation. However, when the inability to maintain an erection happens more frequently, it can lead to self-confidence issues over time.
There are a lot of factors at play during the process of sexual arousal for men. Blood vessels, nerves, muscles, hormones, emotions and brain chemistry all play a role in producing an erection. If any of these factors are out of whack, it can lead to impotence. And when importence begins to cause emotional stress, it can further compound the problem.1,2
Beyond erectile dysfunction being an emotionally challenging condition to deal with, it may also be a sign of a more severe medical condition such as heart disease. Other possible health factors that contribute to erectile dysfunction include:
- High cholesterol
- Smoking and alcohol use
- Certain prescription medications
Men who lead a sedentary lifestyle may also be at greater risk of developing erectile dysfunction. In addition to physical health problems, erectile dysfunction can also be caused by psychological and emotional health conditions like:
- Stress about relationships, career, finances, etc.
Older males are generally at greater risk of developing erectile dysfunction due to aging and declining levels of testosterone. Symptoms of erectile dysfunction include:
- Difficulty getting an erection
- Inability to keep an erection during sexual activity
- Loss of interest in sex
Some symptoms can be related to erectile dysfunction, including:
- Premature ejaculation
- Delayed ejaculation
- Inability to reach an orgasm (anorgasmia)
Typically when these symptoms last for two or months, it’s considered erectile dysfunction.
Top Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction can be treated with a number of home remedies, including:
- Yohimbe - Yohimbe helps to stimulate blood circulation and dilate the blood vessels in the penis, helping you to get and maintain and erection.
- Maca - Maca is a traditional remedy for erectile dysfunction and low libido, helping to improve sexual performance.
- Korean Ginseng - Korean ginseng has been used traditionally to help men improve sexual performance and treat erectile dysfunction.
- Horny Goat Weed - Horny goat weed is well known for its ability to stimulate male libido and help treat erectile dysfunction.
- Cayenne and Garlic - The combination of cayenne and garlic helps boost blood flow to the penis, improving the ability to get and maintain an erection.
While there are many prescription medications available to help improve sexual performance, these natural home remedies can be a highly effective and safe way to treat erectile dysfunction.