Hair loss can affect both men and women. While it’s not a serious health condition, it can cause emotional and mental distress due to changes in physical appearance. Many people who experience hair loss make attempts to conceal bald patches and may spend lots of money on hair loss treatments.1
If you suffer from hair loss or are balding, there are some prove home remedies to help strengthen hair, prevent hair fall and even boost hair growth.
About Hair Loss
The average person can lose anywhere between 50 and 100 strands of hair per day without it being noticeable. However, when hair loss becomes more significant, such as when it falls out in patches or becomes visibly thinning, many people attempt to reverse hair loss or further prevent it.1,2
Hair loss is a condition that affects both women and men, but is often associated with older males. Typically, when you think of hair loss, you think of hair on your head. But hair loss can happen anywhere on the body, depending on the underlying cause.
Hair loss is attributed to many possible causes, including genetics and hormonal changes. Certain medications like chemotherapy (anticancer drugs) can cause hair loss as a side effect. Hair loss from chemotherapy is typically temporary, with most patients experiencing hair regrowth once treatment is complete.1
Underlying medical conditions may also cause hair loss. One possible cause of hair loss is alopecia, a disorder where the immune system mistakenly attacks hair cells causing hair loss across the body. People who have gone through severe illness may also experience hair loss.3
Hair loss symptoms typically include:
- Thinning hair on top of the head that doesn’t regrow
- Patches of hair loss, exposing the scalp
- Hair loss on the arms, legs and eyebrows
- Hair falling out in clumps
- Patches of scaly skin on the scalp
Hair loss causes more emotional damage than it does health damage. Many people feel embarrassed and ashamed of their hair loss, which can cause psychological and emotional suffering.
Top Natural Remedies for Hair Loss
If you’re experiencing hair loss, there are plenty of proven home remedies that have been used for years to help prevent further hair loss and restore hair growth.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil works for certain hair types by nourishing the strands and preventing damage. Many people who use coconut oil for hair loss experience stronger, healthier hair over time.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) - Using apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse can help boost scalp health and prevent hair damage and loss.
- Pilocarpus Oil - Also known as Jaborandi, pilocarpus oil helps stop hair loss by strengthening hair and preventing damage.
- Sacha Inchi Oil - Sacha inchi oil is a traditional South American remedy that can help boost hair health and prevent hair loss.
- Flaxseed Oil - Hair massages with flaxseed oil can help repair damaged hair, preventing further hair loss.