Women experience menopause as a natural part of aging. But it can be a big adjustment, bringing with a host of uncomfortable symptoms both physically and emotionally. For many women, menopause symptoms can significantly impact their quality of life. Thankfully, there are some time-tested natural supplements that have shown to help directly address the underlying hormonal changes during menopause and ease the unpleasant symptoms.
As a natural biological process, all women who reach a certain age will go through menopause. Considered official after one full year of no menstrual cycles, menopause begins for most women in their late 40s and early 50s, with the average age being at 51 years old.1
The main reason why menopause occurs is just part of the natural aging process. As women age, their bodies no longer produce the hormones that are necessary for reproduction—estrogen and progesterone. With fewer hormones in the body, menstruation eventually comes to a stop, preventing the ability to become pregnant.1
Most women start to notice changes in their menstrual cycles by their 40s. Depending on the case, menstrual cycles may become shorter and more infrequent or heavier. This time of menstrual change is known as perimenopause, or the time before full menopause occurs. This period of perimenopause can last several years for some women, and can also be a frustrating time with its own unpleasant symptoms.1
But menopause has other causes as well. Women who undergo a total hysterectomy—removing the uterus and ovaries—go into full menopause, as they are no longer releasing eggs on a regular basis. Additionally, harsh treatments like chemotherapy and radiation can cause women to go into menopause because their bodies naturally halt fertility while they receive treatment. In rare cases, women under the age of 40 simply stop producing enough hormones and go into early menopause. The cause of early menopause is unknown, but it may have certain genetic or health factors.1,2
Signs and symptoms of menopause can include:
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Night sweats and chills
- Difficulty sleeping
- Mood changes and mood swings
- Thinning hair
- Dry skin
- Breasts becoming smaller
- Weight gain
- Frequent urination
Women who are going through menopause are advised to keep up with regular doctors visits for preventive health.
Top Natural Remedies for Menopause
While menopause is a normal process that can’t be stopped, the symptoms can be managed with the right home remedies. If you’re going through menopause and experiencing uncomfortable symptoms, try these herbal supplements:
- Black Cohosh - Taking black cohosh root is a traditional remedy for menopause to help manage hot flashes and mood swings.
- Soybean - Soybean contains phytoestrogen substances. Phytoestrogen mimics estrogen and helps to restore estrogen levels in the body and ease menopause symptoms.
- White Cohosh - White cohosh helps to relieve menopause symptoms like mood swings, hot flashes and night sweats.
- Isoflavones - Isoflavones are phytoestrogen substances that mimic estrogen and help prevent menopause symptoms.
- Ginseng - Ginseng can help address menopause symptoms that have to do with decreased sex drive, such as minimizing depression and vaginal dryness.