Chronic back pain is a potentially debilitating condition that can affect your day-to-day life. Many people suffer from chronic back pain but aren’t sure of the cause. If you are one of the many who experiences back pain, there are several natural remedies that provide relief for back pain.
About Back Pain
Back pain is a symptom of an underlying condition, injury or problem and is one of the most common medical problems among adults. Back pain can range in its severity, depending on the cause. It can start out as a dull ache and progressively get worse. Otherwise, back pain may come on suddenly such as from incorrectly lifting heavy objects or falling.1,2
Knowing the difference between acute and chronic back pain can help you determine the underlying cause. Possible causes of back pain include:
- Herniated Disc: When the soft gel material between vertebrae begins to bulge, it can cause compression that leads to chronic pain.3
- Degenerative Disc Disease: Spinal discs can wear out over time and their cushioning effect diminishes, leading to stiffness and pain.3
- Spinal Stenosis: When the spinal column narrows, it creates pressure on the spinal cord and nerves that leads to numbness.3
- Osteoarthritis: A degenerative condition caused by wear and tear in the spinal discs and joints, leading to chronic pain and inflammation.4
In some cases, back pain may not be a problem with the spine and could indicate a possible illness, such as:5
- Infections such as a urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Kidney stones
- Autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis
Being overweight and not getting enough exercise can also contribute to back pain. High anxiety and stress can also put you at risk of developing chronic back pain.3
If you’re suffering from back pain, there are many natural ways to help relieve pain. In addition to managing pain, it’s also important to make lifestyle adjustments that focus on strengthening back muscles and stretching tissues to create better alignment. Chiropractic adjustments, physiotherapy and deep tissue massage are all holistic therapeutic approaches with proven results for healing back pain.6
Top Natural Remedies for Back Pain
In addition to strength building, exercising and undergoing holistic therapies, you can also relieve back pain with herbal remedies that have natural pain-killing and anti-inflammatory benefits. Top natural products for back pain relief include:
Coconut Oil - Coconut oil can be applied topically to sore areas and provide inflammation relief.
Apple Cider Vinegar - To help relieve back pain caused by inflammation, use apple cider vinegar as a topical treatment or drink it diluted with water.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids - Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory benefits that can help to relieve stiff muscles and alleviate back pain.
Bromelain - Bromelain is an anti-inflammatory enzyme found in pineapple that can be taken to relieve sore muscles in the back.
Magnesium - Magnesium is an essential mineral for muscles and helping to relieve tension in the back.